from Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, Calif.: Jul 29, 1986. pg. 2:
A man stabbed himself repeatedly in the chest and stomach with a hunting knife in what police said appeared to be an attempt to impress a girl at a Forum rock concert. Inglewood police and security guards wrested the weapon from the hand of Jonathan Moreland, 38, and administered first aid until he could be turned over to paramedics, who took him to UCLA Medical Center for treatment. He was later reported in satisfactory condition. Bare chested and wearing a cowboy hat and jeans amid the mostly teen-age crowd that had come to hear The Cure, a British band, Moreland told police he wanted to impress a girl named Andrea. A suicide note was found in his truck, parked outside the arena.
from "antzona" posted on the SATATAM board:
"I was at the LA Forum show in 86 when the guy stabbed himself in the chest
repeatedly. I have gone through this a couple of times just in this forum.
Here are the FACTS:
- 7 inch hunting knife
- stood in the center of the floor section and repeatecly stabbed himself in the chest with one final full thrust before police jumped him.
- He was not a Cure fan (He was a cowboy looking dude)
- He was 38 at that time
- He picked the biggest event happening that day in LA to use as his grand exit
- He survived
- He left a note in his car to his girlfriend who had just broken up with him
- It was an awful thing to see